Trounce House Stabilization Project

Trounce House, built in 1883, is Saskatoon’s oldest building.  It was originally at the front of the lot at 512 Tenth Street, but was moved to the extreme back of the property to make way for the building of the Gustin family home.  In its location near the rear property line, Trounce House was vulnerable from the alley.  Further, it was resting on the ground, susceptible to soil conditions.

After many months of consultation and planning, the Gustin/Trounce Heritage Committee undertook in spring 2007 the stabilization of the Trounce House.  The small structure was raised out of the ground which had built up around it and temporarily re-located in the yard as other work took place on the site.  After some days of archaeological excavations, a concrete pad was prepared slightly further into the lot and Trounce House was repositioned on its new firm base.

The Committee expresses appreciation to participants in the Trounce project: our fine professional team, Stantec Architecture (Allan Duddridge, principal architect; Kristin Enns-Kavanagh, archaeologist), Wiebe Movers (Vern MacEwen, manager), D2 Construction (Harry Dalsgaard, manager), all of Saskatoon; volunteers from the Saskatoon Heritage Society and students from the Department Archaeology at the University of Saskatchewan, for assisting in the site exploration and dig.  For financial support in the stabilization/relocation of Trounce House, thank you to the City of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Heritage Foundation and Meewasin Valley Authority.

CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN